birding-aus

Painted Snipe at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Painted Snipe at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:42:46 +1000
G'day all,

A brief note to advise that today, I was able to take some acceptable photographs of Painted Snipe (2M + 2F)
They were at the waters edge when we drove up, but then moved into the shelter of dead timber laying a few metres away.

One of the females was markedly bigger than the other.

The location was one I rarely visit but was via my favourite Wide Bay.
For the info of possible visitors the normal access is closed because of major works duplicating the pipe line.
But I found another very disused track that had not been used for many years. Unfortunately on the way out I staked an almost new tyre. grrrrr !

Of the 60 odd other species we recorded
- Great-crested Grebes (70 - 80) .. in one raft ! (including many juveniles)
- Sharp-tailed Sandpipers (many 100s)
- Marsh Sandpipers (dozens)
- Black-tailed Godwits (10 - 20)
- Red-necked Stints (10 - 15)
- Black Swans (lots -including a pair with 5 cygnets)
- 4 species of Cormorants including 100 & 100s of Little Black
- Coots (1000s)
- Jabiru (1)
- Wandering Whistling-Duck (1)
- Black-tailed Treecreeper (2)
- Hooded Robin (1)
- Grey Shrike-thrush (1)
- Oriental Plover (60 - 100)

It is several years since I have recorded Painted Snipe in this same general area.
A check of the  Birding-Aus archives www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus  returned very few PS records reported this year.

I was accompanied by temporary Mount Isa resident Helen Morgan recently from NZ who has taken up Bird Watching with zeal.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.

ps Refer http://birdsqueensland.org.au for interesting Bird sightings, Gazetteer, ID tables etc, etc.