birding-aus

local birding - Gloucester Tops and Hunter wetlands

To: "Alan Morris (E-mail)" <>
Subject: local birding - Gloucester Tops and Hunter wetlands
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:31:31 +1000
Dear Alan

Stopped off at Pambalong Wetland (spelling?) Friday and while watching a group of 4 Chestnut-breasted Mannakins, suddenly saw approx. 40 flying straight towards us from further back in the cumbungi - all of which of course dropped into the reeds and vanished. Is it common to get groups this size here nowadays.

Very few ducks (black, chestnut teal only) present as most seemed to be the other side of the road in the main floodplain area. 3 Royal Spoonbills, White-breasted Woodswallows and Sacred Kingfisher calling were the best of the other species seen/heard.

Took an American birder up to Gloucester Tops Thursday 30 Sept - lots of Black-faced Monarchs in the camping area, heard the Rufous Scrub-bird opposite the notice board at the start of the Link Trail, and sat hopefully in the beech forest listening to a Lyrebird singing in a rather lack-lustre way (out of season of course) and never heard another peep from the RSBs - it then began to rain and that was it, but my visitor was very happy to have at least heard the bird!

The Scarlet Honeyeaters are singing like crazy back and front of my house in Gloucester, chasing each other through the bottlebrushes which are just coming into flower and no doubt preparing to breed. Lovely to return from Sydney and hear their silvery high pitched calls all around as I unpacked the car.