birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoo

To: <>
Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoo
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:17:26 +1000
Hi all,
In 34 years residence on the Darling Downs SEQ we have only started recording
lone Channel-billed Cuckoos flying over
making their usual racket in the last 5 years. This year for the first time a
pair have discovered our Mulberry tree and
have been resident in the town of Pittsworth for just over a week now. They are
now being mobbed on a regular basis by
Crows, Magpies, Magpie Larks and Willies, I must say the later are a bit
outclassed for size!!
We did have a pair of Black-faced Cuckoo Shrikes on a nest in a Euc. argophloia
[for the second season running], but the
channel bills destroyed this year nest completely. We assume the Cuckoo Shrikes
were on eggs and the Cuckoos got the
eggs, they had not been sitting long enough to have had chicks.
John and Ruth Walter