birding-aus

Urban development and birds

To: Craig Doolan <>,
Subject: Urban development and birds
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:57:09 +1000
Another approach would be to read the literature on the effect of
creating patchy habitat remnants on avifauna.  Gardens are the
ultimate patchy habitat, with their fences and different vegetation
types every 15 metres or less.  I did a small study in Brisbane
recently that showed that for my area gardens of 1+ acre had twice the
diversity of 1/4 acre block gardens (although they had the same number
of birds per sq metre).

I've also found that introduced bird species such as Spotted
Turtle-doves and Common Mynahs are far more common in urban/disturbed
areas, so I guess native birds in competition with those species are
less able to cope.

Regards,
Chris