birding-aus

White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Pugh's Lagoon

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Pugh's Lagoon
From: "Andrew Hall" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 00:24:17 +1000
Hi All,

Noticed on Saturday (2nd Oct) whilst driving to Richmond, just before the Yarramundi Bridge, an adult White-bellied Sea-Eagle. I haven't seen one in the area for quite some time.
This sighting coincides with the removal of Salvinia from much of the Hawkesbury/Nepean around the area.

Arrived at Pugh's Lagoon near Richmond around 3:30PM for a spot of Carp fishing.
Even though I was more interested in the fish at the time, I noticed amongst the usual Bird life...
A lone female Chestnut Teal
A squadron of Pelicans flew over, but didn't land
A pair of Black Swans overflew, but again, didn't land
Much screaming and mating amongst the Purple Swamphens
A pair of Wood Ducks with Wood-Ducklings
The ever-present Domestic duck we nick-named "Trevor" (White, with black cap and black shoulders) who has lived there for around 2 years.
Later on in the afternoon, a Royal Spoonbill working the shallows within 15ft of our fishing position.

All in all, a relaxing afternoon.
Just as well I like birding to pass the time, as all I had to show for 2 hours fishing was a single 20cm Carp !
Although I did miss several good bites due to watching birds and not my line. >.<

This mail list now has me hooked on Birding.
I've taken to nagging the parents to drive me around Cornwallis rd. whenever we go near it.

Cheers,

Andrew Hall

Springwood,
Blue Mountains,