birding-aus

Satin Flycatcher Distribution

To: "" <>
Subject: Satin Flycatcher Distribution
From: "Richard Yank" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:50:54 +1000
On Saturday September 25, I was able to do a couple hours of mid-day birding at
the Giddy River crossing
near Gove in the Northern Territory.  Gove is located in extreme NE Arhem Land
on the western shore of
the Gulf of Carpentaria.

During several minutes I was able to observe what was apparently a male Satin
Flycatcher.  I was
accompanied by a colleague and both of us had prolonged looks at the bird with
good quality binoculars.
We were unable to detect any contract between the jet black bib, head, wings,
and back, and saw no trace
of grey.  I am familiar with Leaden Flycatcher.

I realise this location is west of the normal migration route for this species
which is along Cape York
on the east side of the Gulf of Carpentaria, and have not been able to find any
records from the Northern
Territory in the standard fieldguides.

I would appeciate any comments or additional information on sightings of Satin
Flycatcher west of its
usual range.

Richard Yank