birding-aus

FW: Threatened species brochure

To: Graham Turner Ozemail <>
Subject: FW: Threatened species brochure
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:25:34 +1000
The biggest threat to waterbirds and seabirds is abandoned fishing line
and hooks and sinkers, plus nets of all kind, particularly drum nets and
keepnets, plus all kinds of rubbish - plastic bags, rings from bottles,
sixpack holders etc etc.
In Victoria a poster with the heading 'ANGLE, DON'T STRANGLE' was
available a few years ago, maybe still is.

It is a pity that many fishermen and anglers honestly believe that the
existence of cormorants, pelicans and even gannets is a serious threat
to their sport and livelihood. "There should be a bounty on them" is a
cry I have often heard, particularly from trout anglers.

The 'Bird Observer' a few years back carried an article about the threat
of abandoned and broken lines etc to birds; this included a photo of a
dead Little Black Cormorant suspended from a line. I can send you a
print but I am afraid it's not good enough for reproduction except at
small scale, but it might be used as a basis for artwork.
BOCA used to have a leaflet to help with the protection of tern colonies
on beaches. Others have been produced in various Aust states and in NZ.

'Birds Australia's Wingspan, or a Seabird Report they produced c. 1990,
carried some horrendous pics of Albatross drowned on longlines.

Best of luck with this project.
Anthea Fleming
Ivanhoe, Vic.