birding-aus

[no subject]

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
From: (Majordomo)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:10:14 +1000 (EST)
(EST)
LMTP
        id 08726-01 for <>;
        Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:38:11 +1000 (EST)
(EST)
i83Bc3Nc013664
        for <>; Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:38:04 +1000 =
(EST)
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Meliphagidae Phylogeny & RH mimicry origins:
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:35:02 +1000

My earlier message (and a correction of it) seems not to have gone
through.
I think that may be because I included italics, which blocked it. So I=20=

will
try again, with a third go. Stupid thing now changes it to 12 point
font,
sorry about that. Apologies if three versions now come through but I
doubt
that.

Hi All,

As for the similarity of the Regent Honeyeater calls and mimicry. When I
first encountered a Regent Honeyeater (RH) I noted that the only call
this
bird was making was indistinguishable (apart from lesser volume and some
lesser hoarseness) from the Red Wattlebird (RW). In my then very limited
understanding of evolutionary processes, I thought it peculiar and
interpreted this as evidence of relationship. This was in 1974 when I
was in
final year of school. It was only years later that I realised (from
reading)
that the Regent Honeyeater had other calls, that are different from
those of
wattlebirds. Remember in 1974 the only books available concerning the
honeyeaters were Cayley's, Leach's & Hugh Officer's.  I didn't think of=20=

it
again for years, until there was a lot of attention devoted to the
species
(for its declining status). Following this more reports of its mimicry=20=

came
in.

The mimicry idea was not only mine (but it was me who wrote it up). It=20=

was
Don Franklin who suggested it to me in a letter dated 19-11-1987,
writing:
"Your note describing a call resembling a RW I found particularly
intriguing
and I suggest you reconsider the possibility of vocal mimicry. Apparent
vocal mimicry has been described 3 times before" (and then listed the
records he had). He was replying to a letter I sent to Peter Menkhorst=20=

about
this behaviour, that Peter had sent to him. I appreciated his
suggestion. As
what struck me was the very unusual circumstances in which all the
examples
occurred, I sought further evidence and developed the idea. Experts in=20=

vocal
mimicry from outside Australia have since then been very interested in=20=

this
behaviour. The top of page 189 of my first ABW article on the subject
(1992)
=91Vocal mimicry of larger honeyeaters by the Regent Honeyeater =
Xanthomyza
phrygia=92, Australian Bird Watcher 14: 180=96189) clearly postulates a=20=

close
evolutionary relationship as one possible basis for the use of
wattlebird
and friarbird calls by this species. Especially with this further
evidence,
I believe both aspects are involved, or it adds an extra dimension to
what I
am still sure is true mimicry. I am not a bit surprised at stronger
evidence
than previously available, that the RH is genetically close to the RW
(but
closer than the LW is to the RW is a little hard to believe). I guess it
depends a bit on the relative importance of the particular genetic loci
being looked at.  The behaviour is consistent with and appears to be
elicited as functional mimicry. It is also very likely based on a deeper
inherited capacity. It is very different from typical random copying
mimicry
of other birds in the way done by lyrebirds, bowerbirds, orioles, etc.=20=

(Yes
I know lyrebirds learn from other lyrebirds.) It is the context of the
mimicry that is really odd, that it is invoked in particular
circumstances:
being winter-time association of solitary Regent Honeyeaters among
groups of
wattlebirds, and not at all whilst breeding. The question arises as to=20=

why
they do the same with friarbirds (although I have not personally
observed
that). Notwithstanding that alarm calls of many Meliphaga honeyeaters
are
very close, it is not just a similar call from related species
phenomenon.
Birds of other species do not spontaneously make calls of closely
related
species when surrounded by them, in the same context as done by the RH.

The Regent Honeyeater is big in colour, if not in size, compared to the=20=

RW.

As for the Blue-faced HE being aligned to the Melithreptus group, well I
always thought that was obvious. They look so similar and sound in some=20=

ways
similar. Nothing terribly special about gigantism, it is one of them,
grown
bigger.

Philip