birding-aus

Benefits of Zoos

Subject: Benefits of Zoos
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:43:24 +1000
All of the above apply to well run zoos.  I think their best function
is hands down the raising of public awareness of the world around
them.  Remember that in large cities like New York some children have
never been in a natural environment, and visiting the zoo may be as
close as they ever get to an animal that isn't domesticated.

Badly run zoos are a travesty, failing to provide humane treatment for
the animals in their care.  When I was in Lima, Peru last year I saw
lions and tigers pacing back and forth in their cages, obviously
completely deranged.  I also saw eagles and vultures in cages that
were so small they couldn't even open their wings fully, plus 10+
parrots of different species in a single cage that was too small to
fly in.  This type of zoo may still promote awareness, but perhaps the
wrong kind.

Sorry to rant, but this is a topic that means a lot to me.

Regards,
Chris Sanderson - Brisbane