birding-aus

Internet Access From Motels/Hotels

Subject: Internet Access From Motels/Hotels
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:57:46 EDT
Hello Fellow Birders,

I'll be making my second trip to Australia in October/November this
year, and this time I am planning to take my laptop computer, so I can
access the internet while I travel.  I have researched AUS internet
providers, and I can find a number of attractive offers, but they all
involve calling a "0198" number.

It appears to me that these 0198 phone numbers (0198 3xx xxx) are
specifically for data transfer use, and it appears that they are billed
like a local call from any private phone.  As I understand it, that
charge is usually 25 cents, for unlimited time, from a private phone.

How does this work in motels/hotels?  What is the local practice as
far as charges in motels/hotels for this service?  Does anyone have
recent experience with this?

Also, do most motel/hotel room phones have modular telephone connectors, to
connect a computer?  I have read that most telephone connections in
AUS use the RJ11 plug that we use in the USA, but that there are also
some proprietary Telstra plugs that are different.  I guess I will buy
a converter for this Telstra connector, before I go, in case I run
into those.  I presume that my USA modem will work with Aussie modems.

Any other advice about accessing the internet on a laptop from a
motel/hotel room in AUS?  I do it all the time over here in the USA,
but I wonder if things will be different over there.

I should add that this is primarily a birding trip.  I posted my itinerary here, in three parts, about a month ago, and I am very appreciative for all the great help and advice that I got from birding-aus members.  For the benefit of anyone who missed those posts, my trip will start in Sydney, proceed down the east coast to Wilsons Prom, then go through Melbourne, out along the Great Ocean Road, through the Grampians, next a brief stop in the Little Desert, then the Ouyen area, then Deniliquin, then on to the Chiltern/Bright areas, and finally finish with 5 nights in the Melbourne area again.  I'm still gathering birding information, so if anyone has anything to add, or if anyone along that route would like to meet an American birder, please email me.

Barry
web site of pics of my first Aussie trip:  http://www.geocities.com/barryb15/