birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Werribee, Victoria

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Werribee, Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:00:51 +1000

Birding Aus

Western Treatment Plant Werribee.

The Brolga was in the salt marsh area on the right hand side of Point Wilson Road.

There were a few Sharp-tailed sandpipers in the ponds at the T section.

A parrot rose from the ground and went into the saltbush on the road on the Spit, I would like to think it was an OBP! Further on was a Great Egret, Crested Terns and lots of Cormorants.

There seemed to be very few duck on Lake Borrie and even fewer birds at Paradise Rd., Lagoons, two Cape Barren Geese at the most easterly end.

The usual Spoonbills were on the rocks in Little River. We did not follow the River around, as time was limited.

On to the Borrow Pit and again there were a few Sharpies, so the waders are returning!  Lately we have been seeing a lot of Black-fronted dotterels, today there were 15 Red-kneed Dotterel, they were in the company of Godwits, Avocet and Black-winged stilts and one Red-capped dotterel, all on the same small island.

There were lots of White-fronted Chats, Swamp Harriers, Whistling and Black-shouldered Kite, Purple Swamphens.

Plenty of birds  to photograph, Doug was using his new Canon EOS 300D camera with Canon 100-400 zoom telephoto lens for birds about 40 metres away and his trusty 995 Cool-pix attached to his Swarovski Telescope for those further away.

Shirley Cameron
Werribee