birding-aus

Bird photography - the most versatile lens?

To: Mark <>,
Subject: Bird photography - the most versatile lens?
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:58:07 +1000
Mark wrote:
Without doubt the 400/5.6 or second choice the 100-400
Have a look at a Sigma 500/f4.5 as well
You cant have too much focal length !

Like binoculars, you also can't have too much aperture.  A 400mm f/2.8
or 600mm f/4 prime lenses would be wonderful, but they cost as much as
the small car needed to carry them!  (If you do need to use such a lens,
they are available to hire.)

Those who have a camera adapter for their spotting scope (in my case,
800mm f/10.4) will attest that the magnification is wonderful, but give
me more light and faster shutter speeds!!

Be aware that the smaller sensor on (most) digital SLR cameras will
magnify/crops the image compared to a 35mm camera.  This is usually
expressed as a magnification factor.  For example, a 200mm lens on
an 35mm SLR will produce images equivalent to a 300mm lens on a
digital SLR camera that has a magnification factor of 1.5x

This web page has a good summary of the pros/cons of film vs. digital
SLR cameras:

   http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/dslrvsfilm.htm