birding-aus

Mass breeding failures among northern seabirds

Subject: Mass breeding failures among northern seabirds
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:20:14 +0000
It's incentives to reduce energy consumption they need - not necessarily the switch to solar! Funny how when alternative energy sources are proposed (wind farms, hydro electric) there always seems to be associated environmental costs and lots of complaints. As for solar - I am not an expert but I remember reading not too long ago that currently solar cells take more energy to make than they ever return - does anyone know if this is still true??? And of course using solar to heat water for generators takes lots of space - just clear another few forests to make room?

I share the concern over warming, but I think cutting consumption may be a better goal. Our vast sprawling cities do not help (not as bad as the US, but much worse than most European ones) - in Europe many people live in apartments. The higher density housing makes public transport more economical and reduces petrol usage.

Seem to remember when I grew up (in the UK) just about everyone lived in "terraced" house ("town houses" in modern talk). Few people had cars but it didn't matter because the resulting high population density meant we could easily walk to shops, school etc. Now seems like all kids get driven to school - because with large block sizes they all live a long way away. And we worry about obesity as well..... But just try suggesting high density housing in many of our suburbs????

Sorry - getting a bit off topic - and I am probably as guilty as most in living in a typical suburban block and driving most places - especially for birdwatching. If we all stopped driving to go birding it would help :-)!