birding-aus

Observations wanted of waterbirds on Raak Boinka, NW Vic

Subject: Observations wanted of waterbirds on Raak Boinka, NW Vic
From: Fiona Murdoch <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:11:56 +1000
Hi all,
I live on the northern boundary of Hattah-Kulkyne NP so am particularly
concerned about the proposed toxic waste dump at Nowingi, NW Victoria. I
have noticed a bit of activity on this discussion list, especially
regarding mallee emu wrens.

As part of the many submissions I am writing I am looking at migratory
birds (JAMBA CAMBA Bonn). The particular concern here is groundwater
contamination from the dump being discharged onto the surface in the Raak
Boinka / lakes immediately to the west towards Murray Sunset NP. These
lakes are generally dry, saline depressions but when these lakes hold water
following extensive periods of rainfall they can attract a lot of
waterbirds. Unfortunately I have a waterbird phobia and cannot pick
anything more difficult than an avocet. So, I am looking for any records
you may have, or if you know anyone else has, that may help with this.
Relevant areas would be anywhere in the Raak Plains: bounded approximately
by the Calder Hwy in the east, Henscke / Raak Perimeter Tk in the west,
Last Hope / Pheeneys Tk in the south and Double Tanks Tk in the north).
Other areas are Spectacle Lake to the west of Hattah, Rocket Lake and even
the Boonoonar Rd saline depression to the north. As mentioned I am
particularly interested in JAMBA CAMBA or Bonn species but I can easily
sort through any lists you may have.

Thankyou
Fiona

Fiona Murdoch