birding-aus

Tips for Beginners

To: <>, <>
Subject: Tips for Beginners
From: "Noni and David" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:13:13 +1000
I agree with the comments presented. I think local community courses are a
great idea. I got into birding because it was taught as a topic at my high
school. I may have forgotten many other things I learnt there but I will
never forget Tom Dixon who introduced me to what has been a life passion. I
think the passion of observing the world around you, the ability to know
local birds, their nature and behaviour is the best think to try to share
with people. We were taught by going on "field" trips on Wednesday
afternoons, walking in some local bush. Once or twice we would go to Taronga
Zoo to see unusual birds. Being a school we had homework on stencilled
sheets of paper ("name two Australian cranes"). I still have a sentimental
soft spot for a BFCS or a wattle bird. Knowledge of birding can bring people
into their local community to discover that at a local level we share the
world with other animals (mainly mynas round my place!). I think your course
is a great idea.
This is heretical but I am not sure people need bins to start - as school
kids some had them and some did not and we shared them in the group. I have
found introducing friends to birding some go out and buy bins without
talking to me about what would not be good - invariably the type they buy to
start up. Trust me, I drive to work with 8x42s on the seat beside me so I
think bins are essential but maybe let people buy them during the course
when they realise how important they are rather than before.
David Lord