birding-aus

Human diet and Bird Hanbitats

To: John McAllister <>
Subject: Human diet and Bird Hanbitats
From: "Michael Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:30:26 +1000
John McAllister wrote:

At the risk of becoming a stirrer Ricki Coughlin's posting about becoming a
vegan was very noble I'm sure, but it tends to oversimplify the problem
somewhat.

I don't know about Aus, but in South Africa many rare an highly threatened
grassland bird (and other taxa as well) are in trouble because their habitat
has been irreversibly transformed by CROP farmers.  Around Wakkerstroom they
survive fairly well in conjunction with sheep and cattle ranchers, many of
whom go out of their way to help with the conservation of the species -
Rudd's Lark, Botha's Lark, Yellow-breasted Pipit, Blue Korhaan, Denham's
Bustard and Blue Crane to name just a few.  Many of these ranchers are very
proud of having these species on their farms or ranches.

Finally let me state that I am not a farmer or rancher - I am a Bird Guide -
oops I hope I'm allowed to say that :-)

Cheers

John McAllister
Wakkerstroom
South Africa.

The issues are more complex. Even considering that large amounts of grain are fed to livestock. This is a wasteful practice, but it is still true that crops for human consumption transform landscapes and where that happens, there is a loss of biodiversity. I come from the Canadian prairies, where a substantial proportion of crops produced are for human consumption. Looking at these monocultures, I have to conclude that raising grazing animals for food on these lands would be less destructive than cropping. Note that I said /less /destructive, as opposed to not destructive.

The arguements against meat consumption on moral grounds should not be confused with arguements about sustainability. There are cases where meat consumption makes ecological sense, though we might still disagree with this from a moral perspective.

Scott O'Keeffe