birding-aus

Updates to Website re Solomons, East Timor and Mystery Birds

To: <>
Subject: Updates to Website re Solomons, East Timor and Mystery Birds
From: Kevin Vang <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:22:47 +1000

Dear Aus-Birders

I have updated the Bird Explorers Website to include 3 new items.

1. Solomon Islands
As many of you are aware Australia has sent the Regional Assistance Mission, Solomon Islands (RAMSI) to the Solomons to help sort things out.  Part of this initiative was to take away all the guns from the islanders on Guadalcanal and other islands including all the shotguns.  This has resulted in the proliferation of larger birds around Honiara including the increased presence of the world’s largest Cuckoo, the Buff-Headed Coucal, which is endemic to the Solomons.  So, we have issued a press release from my visit of a few weeks ago with lots of nice photos to note this and to request RAMSI to continue to press for good conservation and resource stewardship in their efforts in the Solomons.

Go to www.birdquest.net
Breaking News
RAMSI

2. East Timor
In my February 2004 trip to East Timor, I found two species which I believe are the first time records for East Timor although I welcome any claims from people who have seen them there earlier.  The first species is the Sooty-headed Bulbul, Pycnonotus aurigaster. Two were found near the Dili Airport. These are almost certainly escapees or descendants of escapees. Jon Hornbuckle did record this species in 2001 in West Timor. The other species is the Pale-headed Munia, Lonchura pallida. A small flock of 6 were found in a coastal field at Tasi Tolu. While resident on the West Timor outliers of Roti and Dau and the East Timor outlier of Kisar as well as nearby Wetar Island, it has seemingly never been recorded in East Timor, itself. The most likely explanation is also that it is an escapee, but self-translocation (dare I say transmigration;-) from Wetar or Kisar should not be ruled out.

For the pictures:
Go to www.birdquest.net
Breaking News
Two New Birds for East Timor

3. Mystery Birds
Lastly I have created a page on the site for Mystery Birds.  Photos of birds which are just too hard to identify.  The first mysteries are from Ha Long Bay in Viet Nam from our Expedition of December 2003.  Please have a look and try to give it your best shot.  Craig Robson has agreed to review the pictures and try to make a determination, but I thought it would be a bit of fun to see if any of you are game to have a go. From my own point, I have given up trying---they are just too hard!! If anyone’s guess is the same as Craig’s, I will happily publish your name in my note on the final verdict to recognise your prowess.

For the pictures:
Go to www.birdquest.net
¿Mystery Birds?
Southeast Asia-Ha Long Bay