birding-aus

Black Grasswren Tour - July 2004

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Black Grasswren Tour - July 2004
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:05:10 +1000
Recently, with four others, I joined George Swan on the Kimberley
Birdwatching Black Grasswren 10-day accommodated tour.  We saw up to 8 of
the target species at Mitchell Falls as well as both red and black-faced
Gouldian Finch, Pictorella Mannikin, Black Bittern, Square-tailed Kite,
Chestnut-backed and Little Button-quail, Asian Dowitcher, White-quilled
Rock-Pigeon, Rainbow Pitta, Crested (Northern) Shrike-tit, Purple-crowned
Fairywren and Yellow Chat among a total of more than 200 species.

The company was excellent, the accommodation and food great.  I thought I
was going to some kind of wilderness but was surprised by the number of
people in 4WDs everywhere, the restaurants and wine lists at every cattle
station on the trip.  The helicopters and planes flying over Mitchell Falls
were a bit off-putting.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require more information on
the tour.