birding-aus

Upcoming Australian Birding Trip - Part 1

Subject: Upcoming Australian Birding Trip - Part 1
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:38:54 EDT
G'Day Aussie Birders,

I am an American who is planning his second Aussie birding trip, scheduled for this October-November.  I have an itinerary planned, and I would like to receive any specific suggestions for birding sites along my way.  This first email covers Sydney to Wilson's Promontory, along the coast.  Subsequent emails will cover Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road, the Grampians, the mallee country, the Murray river country, Deniliquin, and the Great Alpine Way area.  I'll be travelling alone, and I will have all my accomodations booked in advance, so I'll only have limited flexibility, but would love to get suggestions for places and things along my way.  In addition to birds, I am partial to waterfalls, if they aren't too much out of my way.

If you are interested in pictures of my first Aussie birding trip (Sydney to Cairns), pictures can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/barryb15/

1.  Sydney.  I will arrive in Sydney on 11 October and spend five nights there.  I won't have a car in Sydney and will be combining the normal tourist sightseeing with a little birding, I hope.  What birding sites can I get to on public transportation from the Central Business District of Sydney?  Places I am considering include Nielsen Park, Warriewood Wetlands, the Olympic Park wetlands, Centennial Park, the Royal Botanical Gardens, and Mistral Point (Maroubra).  Any comments or further suggestions?

2.  Barren Grounds.  On Saturday, 16 October, I will get a car and drive to the area around Barren Grounds.  I plan to stay in that area for two nights, so I will have about a day and a half to bird in that area.  In addition to Barren Grounds, I have a long list of great-sounding birding places from Chris Chafer's wonderful web site, but I would appreciate some specific suggestions, considering my limited time in the area.

3.  Mallacoota, VIC.  I plan to spend two nights in Mallacoota, so I'll have a full day of birding there.  I would love to know some specific sites to look for birds in that area.

4.  Sale/90 Mile Beach/East Gippsland.  I will be two nights there as well, and I have some places to look for birds, but any further suggestions would be appreciated.

5.  Wilson's Promontory.  Only one night there, but I should have an afternoon and the following morning for birding and sightseeing, weather permitting.  Any ideas?

I'll continue this in a few days, to cover the rest of my itinerary.  I would welcome any emails to my address or replies to the list, if of general interest.  If anyone is interested in doing a little birding with an American, please let me know.  I would love to meet some Aussie birders.  Thanks vey much.  This mailing list is a wonderful resource.

Barry Brugman
email: