birding-aus

Tail colour of Superb Fruit-Dove

To: <>
Subject: Tail colour of Superb Fruit-Dove
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:27:39 +1000
Hi birders,
I have consulted my HANZAB and it says for the adult male bird, " Upper tail
green, with a broad green-grey tip", female " tail greenish", and no mention
of anything different in an immature male, although it points out that
immature males from a very early age show a small purple patch on the crown,
so the Kelvin Forest bird fits that pattern as an immature male bird. In the
illustrations of both adult and immature male, there is no blue indicated,
just a grey tip on the tail of the adult male bird.

A short note in "Australian Field Ornithology" might be worthwhile.

Alan Morris

Alan Morris