birding-aus

Thank you all for your comments

To: <>
Subject: Thank you all for your comments
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:21:18 +1000
Hi all,
I have received quite a number of e-mails from a variety of people in response
to my criticism of
Carl Corden's use of 'Sulfur-crested cockatoo' in his SW Qld report.
They have all been very interesting, some quite witty, some very informative,
none offensive (not
even the ones pointing out my various spelling and grammar mistakes).
All have been greatly appreciated.
I have tried to reply to everyone but they just keep rolling in; I will get to
them all soon.

I want to assure everyone that Carl has sent me a most pleasant e-mail from
which I can only assume
that he has, indeed, taken my criticism in good faith.

In return, I must say that his report should be used as a model to be followed
by anyone
contemplating reporting on their trips.
Reading Carl's words has brought back many good memories of my own journeys
through the same area in
the past.
[There is one other entry in Pt 1 which made me shudder but I have decided to
let that one pass.
;-)]
I have been noting how that area has obviously changed in the years since my
last visit and I am
getting itchy feet.

As a final comment I would like to say that, having re-read my original posting
and reviewed the
My point was not so much about the spelling being incorrect but rather about
the wrong 'version' of
the word being used.
The correct version of the word when referring to this particular bird is spelt
"Sulphur"
The incorrect version of the word in this case is spelt "Sulfur'.
If we were talking about the chemical the situation would be reversed.
The case for the colour is somewhat blurred as has been pointed out to me by Dr
Greg Anderson.
{I would always take the word of 'a PhD', after all, my brother are one and he
knows everything!
I've checked to make sure.)

As the 'official' name is still "Sulphur-crested Cockatoo" I don't think it is
at all unreasonable
to expect that form to be used in such reports as the one in question.
I did say that "I hope that we never ever adopt this abomination".
However, if the time comes when the name becomes "Sulfur-crested Cockatoo" I
will (grudgingly)
accept that just as I have accepted other changes which jar on my delicate
senses.

Thank you all for your attention and interaction.
I will now return to my web and prepare myself to pounce on the next suitable
prey which attempts to
pass by.

Cheers
Bob Inglis