birding-aus

The Baer's Pochard

Subject: The Baer's Pochard
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:52:10 +1000

I have checked several guides including Handbook of the Birds of the World, Peter Scott's A Coloured Key to the Wildfowl of the World and Wildfowl of the World by Soothill and Whitehead

In males the main difference appears to be the iridescent black/green head and neck of Baer's Pochard although in the female the head is brown and similar in appearance to that of the Hardhead.
I would guess that with a good view males are relatively easy to tell apart but females could be more difficult.

Andy

Touching on Paul's comments, the following web site draws a comparison
between the White-eyes & Baer's Pochard. I'd be interested to hear any
views on this.

http://mawba.com/whiteeye.htm

I'm planning to head down tomorrow (or possibly Saturday).

Cheers,

Tim