birding-aus

Crested Pigeons in Sydney, NSW.

Subject: Crested Pigeons in Sydney, NSW.
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:49:31 +1000

There were no records for the County prior to the 1940s; at that time, birds were liberated from an aviary at Ingleburn. Later, birds were also released from Ku-ring-gai  Chase NP, Taronga Zoo Park and a private aviary at Gordon. At present, this bird is widespread in Sydney.

This implies that Crested Pigeons in Sydney are descended from released stock.  I think the real situation would be much more complicated than this.  These released birds may have played a part but I'm sure "drought escapees" would also have played an important role as was originally suggested.

Crested Pigeons are now an established part of the avifauna in most coastal areas of NSW and, generally, are relatively new colonists.  It would be a bit of a stretch to think they are all descended from released stock.  No, I think large scale changes in the landscape made the coast much more Crested Pigeon friendly (and galah friendly) and this was taken advantage by when birds, moving eastward due to severe drought, took up residence.

I think Frith in his "Pigeons & Doves" summaries this but I don't have it on hand at the moment.  Hanzab states "Distribution formerly bounded by 500mm isohyet but range has expanded this (last!) century towards coasts, mostly as a result of modification of habitat."  also  "In se Aust., expanded E and S during 1920's and 1930's, and trend continuing".

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete the message. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.