birding-aus

Breeding Pardalotes

To: "Paul Doyle" <>
Subject: Breeding Pardalotes
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:45:04 +1000
From my book: "Canberra Birds: A Report on the first 21 years of the Garden Bird Survey"

Spotted Pardalote Pardalotus punctatus

........ Breeding commences early with the first inspecting hollows and nest building during early July with active nests peaking in October and extending until January. Dependent young mostly from late October until February. Only 19 of the 151 breeding observations related to post nesting stages. This species nests in low tunnels that can easily be found. Many records go for seven to ten weeks with nesting data, the longest was 20 weeks with what may have been two broods, in Year 14 at Site 251.

Canberra is a lot colder than Sydney (6 degrees would be an overnight heat wave here for mid winter) so them breeding already would be not overly unusual.

Philip