birding-aus

RFI - NW Victoria - Little Desert, Hattah

To: <>
Subject: RFI - NW Victoria - Little Desert, Hattah
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:29:28 +1000
Hello gang,

One last call for assistance from me in terms of the wealth of
knowledge out there.  As always, I promise to provide feedback on our
venture.
Sean Fitzgerald and I would like to take one last trip to northern
Victoria before I head overseas to Thailand for 2 years.  We had some
good luck through Goschen and surrounds a few months ago, picking up
several lovely species.
We would like to visit Little Desert and Hattah over three days early
next week in a bid to pick up a few species to get me to 300 for my
Victoria list before I leave.  I suppose you have to have little goals
in life !!!
We would love to hear from anyone who has visited these areas recently
and/or those of you who have expertise on which tracks are most birdy.
Our hit list for the trip in taxonomic order (and for those most
possible in Victoria) is given below.  We would also like to try for
Grey-crowned Babbler at the spots we didn't get to last time, so
graciously provided by aus-birders.

List :

Malleefowl - information seems limited on active mounds and I
understand
                       males should be scraping out at the moment ???
King Quail - does anyone see these anywhere (French Island ???)
Grey Goshawk - Buckley's Falls - Geelong
Lewin's Rail -  hmmmm ???
Little Button-Quail - does anyone see these anywhere ???
Red-chested Button-Quail - does anyone see these anywhere ???
Plains Wanderer - is the site in NE corner at Terrick Terrick privately

                                  owned ???? access ???
                          - we were there on our last trip but didn't
venture out into
                                      the fields
Diamond Dove -  locations in NW Victoria ???
Major Mitchell's Cockatoo - presence in north at the moment ???
Ground Parrot - coastal - hmmmmm ?
Barking Owl - privy to all conversations on birding-aus about
difficulty
                            of call -  with this in mind, any definite
breeding pairs for
                              this time of year when they should be
starting up
Sooty Owl - should be nesting - where ???  - Bunyip State Forest??
Mallee Emu-Wren - locations in Hattah ???
Striated Grasswren -  locations in Hattah ???
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren - should be guaranteed locations for this
!?!
Speckled Warbler -  hmmmm ?
Striped Honeyeater - presence in north ???
Black-chinned Honeyeater - hmmmm !!!! - sites on the way north
White-fronted Honeyeater- presence in north ???
Orange Chat - presence in north ???
Southern Scrub-Robin -  Little Desert and/or Hattah locations ???
Grey-crowned Babbler - presence in north ???
Chestnut-crowned Babbler - presence in north ???
Spotted Quail-Thrush -  still no !!!!
Crested Bellbird -  presence in north ??? - date they start calling
???
                                 - should be soon

As always, any assistance greatly appreciated as we prepare to plan
over the next few days.  Probably leave late Sunday or early Monday.

Regards and good birding,

Paul

Paul Rose
Head of Learning - Science (Yr 7-10)
Department of Biology and Chemistry
Wesley College - Glen Waverley
620 High Street Road
Glen Waverley  3150
(03) 9881 5426

Wesley College makes no warranties of any kind,
whether express or implied, in relation to the
electronic communication system.  The College
will not be responsible for any damage,
including loss of data resulting from delays,
non-delivery, etc. suffered by any user using
the electronic communication system.