birding-aus

Royal National Park - Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Royal National Park - Sydney
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:48:01 +1000
Hi Simon

Nice day for a walk there. Thanks for the hum.

That is generally a very good spot to find a Green Catbird, wish I was there
too. Of late, I've been walking from the north entrance to Calala and there
are generally some by the time you get about 4km into the trail. However, of
late, none. Nice to hear that they're still hanging out around the other
end.

Another good place for Catbirds on the south end is often along the
Wallamurra trail as it follows Bola Creek (that's actually the first
crossing which you refer to). The turn-off to that trail is about 50 metres
before the crossing of Lady C. Drive and Bola Creek. Close encounters with
Lyrebirds and Catbirds to be had very frequently and often Topnot Pigeons in
the treetops along the way. Of course many other fantastic species to be had
there too and the ambience is very beautiful. Last time I walked there I sat
for some time observing the coming and going of a male Yellow-throated
Scrubwren as he attended his nest which was overhanging the creek. The
forest, the creek, the gentle twitterings of the birds and the whole scene
generally was just so delightful that I couldn't bring myself to move on for
ages.

Those Lyrebird calls seem to be the perennial faves of the Lyrebirds along
the Drive. Recently,  I observed a Lyrebird mimicing Rockwarbler calls so
nicely that a Rockwarbler actually came over to it. Rockwarblers just can't
seem to overcome that curiosity thing they have!

For my numbers, do you recall how many Rose Robins you saw?

Thanks for reminding me of a beautiful place. Regards - Ricki