birding-aus

A good morning at Werribee

Subject: A good morning at Werribee
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 05:14:31 +0000
Started off well with a male Flame Robin on the road in and two Red-kneed Dotterel on the Borrow Pits. Tide was very low, giving great views of a lot of waders at the mouth of the Little RIver - including 12 Black-tailed Godwits. Driving up by the Little River we had two Greenshank in the usual spot, and then saw an unusual dead branch sticking up at the side of the road - or was it. No - a close look revealed an Australasian Bittern at the side of the road in full view for a minute or two before it took off! As we were recovering from this a Brolga flew upstream.

On to the hide for early lunch - more great views of the Godwits and innumerable Stints (and a few Sharpies). But also on one of the mud banks were 17 Fairy Terns. Near the Beach Rd exit we had good views of a Singing Bushlark on the road, and the T-section Lagoons revealed the 3 "resident" Brolgas - so was the one we saw flying one of those or another one?