birding-aus

Birding VIC/NSW - Incognito

Subject: Birding VIC/NSW - Incognito
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:54:24 +0800
Hey all,

I've tried to send this email a couple of times but hasn't gone through ..
so one last time for good luck!

I'll be visiting VIC and NSW in May and of course want to get in a spot of
birding. Unfortunately I am travelling with family and they have already
specifically warned me that they will not be spending two weeks looking at
birds.

Can anyone suggest some good birding sites I can visit without raising too
many alarm bells? I am pretty sure I can manage a trip out to the
Dandenongs and Mornington Peninsula and Blue Mountains. Are there any kind
of 'touristy' spots along my route that will also give a good bit of
birding?

We will be in Melbourne from the 08th-12th, travelling to Albury (via Hume
Hwy) on the 13th, travelling to Ncle on the 14th. Then it's Ncle for the
15th-16th, Mudgee on the 17th and then heading back to Sydney on the 18th
via Katoomba. We will then be in Sydney until the 23rd of May.

Key species I will be on the lookout for are mostly Psittaciformes -
Glossy-blacks, Yellow-tails, Superbs, Regent, Gang-gangs, any of the
Neophemas, and the Swift Parrot. Regent and Helmeted Honeyeater would be
great, as would Powerful Owl.

Thanks for your help in advance .... and sorry for yet another 'Birding
VIC/NSW' thread!!

Claire
claire.stevenson at birdsofperth dot com