birding-aus

Pigeon pants

To: <>
Subject: Pigeon pants
From: "Michael Whitehead" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:17:13 +1000

Today while walking through the Domain (Sydney) I was delighted to witness a fine example of genetic variation at work. Just opposite the art gallery I was confronted by a feral pigeon who appeared to be wearing pants (they seemed to be in the popular flared style). I approached the enigma for closer scrutiny and found that the bird's legs and feet were entirely covered in short feathers. Apart from appearing somewhat more funky than his peers the bird seemed to be otherwise normal.

Does anyone know if this mutation is a common one for pigeons? Has anyone seen similar sports or for that matter any other mutant birds suitably interesting to tell us about?

Mike.