birding-aus

Re: Grey Butcherbirds around Melbourne.

To: "'Ian May'" <>,
Subject: Re: Grey Butcherbirds around Melbourne.
From: "Whittaker, Mark" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:25:45 +1000
G'day
After a year living at Botany in Sydney's south east, I saw my first grey
butcherbird in the yard last week. It's a juvenile and it's been there just
about every day since. (I saw it butchering a small mouse in the banksia
this morning. It must have pierced the mouse's neck on a small branch
because the mouse was quite stable as it ripped off a rear leg and pulled
away at the flesh even though it appeared there was nothing holding it in
place.)
Being a juvenile, I suspect he may be staking out a territory. Does anyone
know the habits of these fellers? Have I got him/her for keeps?
Mark Whittaker