birding-aus

RFI - South Island - NZ

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI - South Island - NZ
From: Vin Lam <>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:58:52 +1000
Hi Birding Aus'er and NZ'ers,

I apolozies if you are recieving this twice if you subscribe to both BirdingAus and BirdingNz.

I am from Melbourne and will heading to NZ between 9th
May and 18th of May. Will have a hire car most of the trip. This will only be a half birding trip as the travelling companion is not a birder. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Im most interested in seeing the pelagics
(Kaikoura - bookings required here?), as many penguins
as possible (maybe Yellow-eyed, White-flippered and Fiordland if they are still around). Maybe Black stilts, Wrybill, Weka, Blue Ducks, Kea, Kaka, Kiwi.... ... okay, I wont list everything. Basically, any thing interesting and easily accessible. Gee, even all the introduced european ones which never made it to Australia.

I will start and end at Christchurch. The only two things I have set is that I am going to Kaikoura and
Dunedin. I need to plan the rest of the trip. How
about Stewart Island. I have got a hire car and accom.
vouchuers, so I wont be able to stay overnight, but
any know if its worth going for a Day Trip?

Just want to know the must-go-to locations if going to South Island for an Australian (Melbournian).

I currently only have "Birds of New Zealand - a
photographic guide" by Geoff Moon, but doesnt
seem to be a complete guide. I want to purchase
guide when I get there. Any suggestions on
that would be great.

Regards,
Vin.
--