birding-aus

re: Hattah-Kulkyne NP- week after Easter

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: re: Hattah-Kulkyne NP- week after Easter
From: Jim Caine <>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:02:25 +1000
Gedday every one.

Firstly, thanks to the various people who provided specific information about
good spots for Mallee Emu-wren and Striated Grasswren to me prior to Easter.
Neville Pammet, Penny Drake-Brockman, Laurie Living, Barry McLean, Murray Lord,
Doug Holly and others who made generous offers all impressed me with their
generosity and willingness to assist. So sincere thanks to ALL those people.

As it turned out I was able to locate MEW's three times on one day along
Nowingie and Konardin Tracks. Initially there seemed to be little about except
Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters but after only 20 minutes in mallee and spinifex
along Nowingie Track I located (by contact call) a pair of MEW's and was able
to follow them for about 20 minutes before I lost them completely. Further
along Nowingie and on Konardin Track I had further encounters which I was
delighted with.

On Wednesday I was in the same area again and had excellent views of Chestnut
Quail-thrush on Nowingie Track itself and then others adjacent to the track.
This was an unexpected bonus.  I didn't imagine that they would be so easy to
see but for the remainder of that day and on Thursday I saw them many times.
Another unexpected bonus was to find an active Malleefowl nest in the same area.

On Thursday, after birding along the North Boundary Track which provided
excellent birding, I tried one last time for the Striated Grasswren at the west
end of Nowingie Track. After no sucess from several circuits through likely
vegetation I gave up and was heading through the scrub back towards the car
when I saw two  birds hoppping away from me. I managed to pick up a blur of
white throat and some reddish colouration as they departed and disappeared into
thin air I thought that would be as a good as it got. So I continued on vaguely
satisified towards the car only to be brought to a standstill be a strong call
behind me and there was the Grasswren on top of a low bush singing his heart
out. I had an excellent view in full sunlight  before he hopped down and again
disappeared into thin air. I had the distinct impression he was playing games!!

Other good birds for me were Major Mitchell Cockatoo, Mulga Parrot, Splendid
Fairy-wren and  a brood of about 20-30 young Emu's with a lone male near River
Track/Raak Track.

regards
Jim Caine

Jim Caine

 This email and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or
use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.
 If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and
delete the email and all copies.

 The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.

 The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for any loss,

 damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the
attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.
 The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the
College