birding-aus

Blackberries and the disappearance of fairy-wrens

To: <>
Subject: Blackberries and the disappearance of fairy-wrens
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:16:37 +1000
Mike Tarburton wrote:
>The Fairy-Wrens were extinguished from this reserve by the council
>spraying the blackberries while the Fairy-Wrens were nesting in them.
>This is all the more sad when you know that the council had been following
>my suggestions up to that point about leaving the blackberries there until
>the native replantings had grown sufficiently to replace the blackberries.
>They had heeded my warning for four years but tried to speed the process
>up for the last segment.  This cost us that species, which has not
>recolonied  yet in the intervening five years.

Hi all,

The Superb Fairy-wrens disappeared from my local park and neighbourhood in
Katoomba for about ten years. I thought they had been lost forever but last
year they re-appeared and it's been great to have them around ever since. I
have always wondered whether their disappearance might have been caused by
council spraying of blackberries as I couldn't find any other reason for
their sudden disappearance. In this case it wasn't loss of habitat as there
has always been plenty of suitable dense vegetation here.

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba
Blue Mountains NSW