birding-aus

Re: Grey Butcherbirds around Melbourne.

To: Mike <>
Subject: Re: Grey Butcherbirds around Melbourne.
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:59:26 +1000
There are WB scrubwrens remaining in an area on the southern banks of the
Yarra just downstream of the Bourke road bridge.  This area had blackberries
removed a couple of years ago in a pretty intensive spraying program.

I've heard Grey butcherbirds in the area and have seen a goshawk patrolling
under the canopy, but the population persists.  There is at least one fox in
the area as well.

Other small birds are also resident there, such as superb fairy wrens, brown
thornbills, eatern yellow robins, as well as the occasional mistletoebird.

Bill