birding-aus

Re: Sequence of Orders and Families

Subject: Re: Sequence of Orders and Families
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:42:17 +0800

I feel that all field guides should try to stick as close as possible to the latest accepted taxonomic list (definitely not alphabetic or by habitat). I find it very frustrating to pick up a different field guide than I am used to, and then struggle to find what I am looking for. If all field guides were the same order then it would be much easier.

Having said that, there needs to be some exceptions. e.g. all white egrets on the same plate. I probably agree with quail and button-quail close together, although if they are on two separate plates, then a good cross reference to the other page number would help.

I know that some field guides need new editions before the taxonomic list has been updated, and so they have to use their best interpretation which may prove later to be wrong.

What makes a field guide to me is not the order. It is having good reference pages for raptors in flight so that you can quickly eliminate most of them. It is making it quick to find out the key ID features of a bird. I often spend more time reading the text, than finding the page in the field guide in the first place. And of course the accuracy of the illustrations does help!!! I could still be wondering about the first Grey Honeyeater that I saw if I was referring to Simpson & Day, but Pizzey & Knight looked like they had drawn the bird I was looking at. And the accuracy of distribution maps is very important. I like the differentiation that Michael Morcombe uses.

I would prefer them to be lighter, by leaving out a lot of the details in the back half of most of the books.

I like the field guides that have checklists (and plates) for the island territories.

Having said that, I regard Pizzey & Knight as probably the best field guide for Australia as a whole, although Morcombe is the best for WA (and the south west in particular), and Slater is the lightest to pack if I am travelling, and I have had 5 editions of Simpson & Day over the years. I think we have been very fortunate with field guides in Australia.