birding-aus

Filters and problem messages

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Filters and problem messages
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:41:14 +1000
Dear Birding-Aus Members

I probably should let you all know that I've added a few more filters to the Birding-Aus system. We've always had a policy of not sending attachments, which nearly everybody adheres to - thank you. I've recently added a couple more file types to the "banned list" in light of some of the viruses being spread via email.

I've also asked people to send messages in plain text - not rich text or HTML, but haven't bothered to filter these in the past. In the last day or so, one or two messages have made it through to the list - they have had images or other interactive elements embedded in the message. Opening such a message tries to force your web browser to open and connect to a particular website. These messages have come from spammers, not from subscribers, but I think there was the potential for someone to be taken to a site they wouldn't normally visit, and maybe to download something that might harm their computer.

So I'm afraid I've had to block HTML in messages - already a couple of messages have bounced because of this.

A few people have contacted me recently about getting viruses in messages from Birding-Aus. Whilst this is not impossible, I don't think it has happened this time. Firstly, all the viruses I've received (from other sources) are around 23.9Kb in size - too big for the 18Kb allowed in our messages. Secondly, if you receive a message like this and it carries a Birding-Aus address, it almost certainly has come from someone else - someone with an infected computer. Most of these viruses generate mail themselves by pulling parts of addresses out of the address book of the infected host, then selecting another address to receive the message. The headers of genuine Birding-Aus messages contain the names of Vicnet mail servers: e.g. Received: by mail.vicnet.net.au (Postfix) and should have a reference somewhere to:

This of course does not take away the need for good, up-to-date anti-virus software.

Now back to talking about birds ....

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner