birding-aus

Goschen, Victoria - ownership and bird news ?

To: <>
Subject: Goschen, Victoria - ownership and bird news ?
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:15:43 +1000
Paul and everyone,
I took a visiting Spanish birdwatcher to the Lake Boga and Kerang area last
week. Didn't have time to go right out to Goschen but spent a couple of
hours at Round Lake and the Tresco West bushland reserve (which is just to
the south and runs right around a now dry salt lake there).The area is very
dry and many birds I expect to see in spring were absent such as
Cockatiel,Budgie,Bee-eaters,Trillers,Rufous Songlarks. The eremophilas in
the area are more than likely finished flowering so I imagine the Black
Honeyeaters have moved on too. I did see Blue Bonnets,White-backed
Swallows,Hooded and Red-capped Robin,Yellow-throated Miners,and lots of duck
on Round lake (where shooting is banned).
Also Lake Boga is a little low and there were some waders around the edges
just south of town including Double-banded Plovers.
White-winged Wrens are extremely common in the samphire around Lake
Tutchewop and an Orange Chat was seen a little while back though we couldn't
locate any. There are normally some waders visible from the Lake William
road at the southern end.
Grey-crowned Babblers were again easy to find along Lancaster road on the
way to McDonalds swamp east of Kerang.There were Azure Kingfishers sitting
underneath Spence's bridge (Gunbower island).
I've seen Blue-winged Parrots this week near Pyramid hill (they use the
Goschen area) plus a flock of 15 Brolga coming into roost each evening at
the Pyramid Saltworks (could be viewed from Collins road about 12km SW of
Pyramid Hill).
Greatly enjoyed finding 30 new species for my visitor!However he still is
yet to see a Rufous Whistler!!
Simon Starr,
Pyramid Hill,Vic.