birding-aus

Goschen, Victoria - ownership land management.

Subject: Goschen, Victoria - ownership land management.
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:46:16 +1000
The majority of the area of native vegetation at Goschen ( 16km SW of Swan
Hill Vicotira) is public land.  It has a complex set of tenures.  The area
was originally set aside as a towship 9 and thus contains  a fair number of
separaqte blocks on the cadastre.  The  first section to the NW of the
crossroads ( which from memory is the location of the hall, teniis courts
etc) which covers most of the subdivided township site. is a Bushland
Reserve, as is the section immediately south of this across the road.
Parks Vicotira is  responsible for managment of bushland reserves.

There are several other adjacent blaocks of Public land of other status (
for istance the one with the radio tower on.    I am trying to find out
some more about  the status and managers of these.

Cheers

Nevil Amos
Biodiversity Conservation Strategies
DSE.

ts and Kelp Gull on the way. Not long off the ferry and we came =
across a hive of bird activity, which included all 3 species of =
Pardalote. Highlight being of course the Forty-spotted Pardalote, also =
Black-headed and Yellow-throated Honeyeaters, Scarlet, Dusky and Flame =
Robins, Dusky Woodswallow, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles. Two Grey Currawongs =
were seen, as was a Brown Goshawk. Along the coast both Pied and Sooty =
Oystercatchers were seen. At our overnight accommodation Yellow =
Wattlebirds were plentiful, making 10 endemics on Day 1.

That night we visited the Little Penguin and Short-tailed Shearwater =
colony to watch the birds returning for the night roost. A successful =
spotlighting night for mammals as we found Eastern Quoll (about 9 mostly =
dark phase), Common Brushtail Possum, Red-necked Wallaby and Tasmanian =
Pademelon were all plentiful.

Day TWO

We visited Inala Cottages for breakfast (Phil & Trisha were staying =
here) and birded around that area in the morning. We added Strong-billed =
Honeyeater to the endemic list; a female Pink Robin and several Olive =
Whistlers were the other highlights. A couple of lucky people who stayed =
behind at the cottage saw a white phase Grey Goshawk. Brown and =
Yellow-rumped Thornbills were seen as well.

A trip down to the south of South Bruny Island found us a Beautiful =
Firetail, Pacific Gull, Australian Gannet, and dozens of Short-tailed =
Shearwaters off shore.

After lunch we went back to the mainland and travelled up to our =
overnight stop at Hamilton. On the way we stopped at a roadside dam =
seeing , Pacific Black Duck., Australasian Shoveler, Chestnut Teal, =
Hardhead, Hoary-headed Grebe, Black Swan, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, and =
Eurasian Coot.

After dinner at the pub in Ouse, we again spotlighted seeing the same =
mammals again plus adding a Platypus, and a single Tasmanian Bettong. An =
Echidna was also seen by day.

To be Continued .....

Dick Jenkin

DUNGOG NSW

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C4159A.72BC81C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The first part of my recent trip to =
Tasmania
follows :</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have just returned =
from a
week=92s trip to Tasmania with Phil &amp; Trisha Maher of Australian
Ornithological Services. A great all round trip for birding (around 115 =
species
seen), accommodation and meals.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<?xml:namespace =
prefix =3D o
ns =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">We started on =
Wednesday morning,
March 17<SUP>th</SUP>, by a trip up Mt Wellington, stopping about half =
way up
for birding. After a slow start we easily found<B> Scrubtit</B>, =
<B>Tasmanian
Thornbill </B>and <B>Tasmanian Scrubwren</B>. <B>Green Rosella=92s</B> =
were also
around to complete the 4 endemics seen here. Other good birds seen =
included a
couple of stunningly beautiful male <B>Pink Robins</B>, a handful of =
<B>Olive
Whistlers</B> and several <B>Crescent Honeyeaters</B>.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">We then travelled =
south, seeing
<B>Tasmanian Native-hen</B> on the way, and took the ferry across to =
North Bruny
Island seeing <B>Black-faced Cormorants</B> and <B>Kelp Gull</B> on the =
way. Not
long off the ferry and we came across a hive of bird activity, which =
included
all 3 species of Pardalote. Highlight being of course the =
<B>Forty-spotted
Pardalote,</B> also <B>Black-headed </B>and <B>Yellow-throated =
Honeyeaters,
Scarlet, Dusky </B>and <B>Flame Robins, Dusky Woodswallow</B>, 2 =
<B>Wedge-tailed
Eagles</B>. Two <B>Grey Currawongs</B> were seen, as was a <B>Brown =
Goshawk</B>.
Along the coast both <B>Pied</B> and <B>Sooty Oystercatchers</B> were =
seen. At
our overnight accommodation <B>Yellow Wattlebirds</B> were plentiful, =
making 10
endemics on Day 1.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">That night we visited =
the<B>
Little Penguin</B> and <B>Short-tailed Shearwater</B> colony to watch =
the birds
returning for the night roost. A successful spotlighting night for =
mammals as we
found<B> Eastern Quoll </B>(about 9 mostly dark phase), <B>Common =
Brushtail
Possum, Red-necked Wallaby </B>and <B>Tasmanian Pademelon</B> were all
plentiful. </P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Day TWO</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">We visited Inala =
Cottages for
breakfast (Phil &amp; Trisha were staying here) and birded around that =
area in
the morning. We added <B>Strong-billed Honeyeater</B> to the endemic =
list; a
female Pink Robin and several Olive Whistlers were the other highlights. =
couple of lucky people who stayed behind at the cottage saw a white =
phase
<B>Grey Goshawk</B>. <B>Brown </B>and <B>Yellow-rumped Thornbills</B> =
were seen
as well.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">A trip down to the =
south of South
Bruny Island found us a <B>Beautiful Firetail</B>, <B>Pacific Gull,</B>
<B>Australian Gannet</B>, and dozens of Short-tailed Shearwaters<SPAN
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>off shore.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">After lunch we went =
back to the
mainland and travelled up to our overnight stop at Hamilton. On the way =
we
stopped at a roadside dam seeing , <B>Pacific Black Duck., Australasian
Shoveler, Chestnut Teal, Hardhead, Hoary-headed Grebe, Black Swan, =
White-bellied
Sea-Eagle, </B>and <B>Eurasian Coot.<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in =
0pt"><B>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">After dinner at the =
pub in Ouse,
we again spotlighted seeing the same mammals again plus adding a
<B>Platypus</B>, and a single <B>Tasmanian Bettong.</B> An =
<B>Echidna</B> was
also seen by day.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>To be
Continued .....</FONT></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=3DArial
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=3DArial
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Dick
Jenkin</FONT></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>DUNGOG
NSW</FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C4159A.72BC81C0--
--=======AVGMAIL-4067A6A84161=======