birding-aus

Melbourne Birding

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Melbourne Birding
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:05:35 +1000
Hi all

Thanks once again to all those who supplied me with places to go birding on my recent trip to Melbourne.

Apart from successfully finding Rufous Bristlebirds ( 8 seen ), the other 5 target species eluded me. I should have taken up the very kind offer from Shirley Cameron to tag along on an outing to Werribee but hindsight is a wonderful thing.  I did catch up with some Blue-winged Parrots in Tasmania ( and that's another story ).

Despite hunting around some suburbs of Geelong and the wharf area of Queenscliff I failed to find any of my" feral targets" i.e. Songthrush, Treesparrow and Greenfinch. I think I saw every other feral imaginable. A spectacular highlight was seeing several hundred Banded Stilt on the Cheltenham (sp?) Salt Works, a bird I have only seen once before.

In near perfect conditions and timing I saw my first 4 Rufous Bristlebirds at Point Addis around 5.30 to 7 P.M.
Nobody else was around and the wind was light. The best views were of a bird near the Toilet Block.

Next morning, 7.30 A.M. I visited the coastal health accessed via Hopkins Street, just before Airey's Inlet. ( Thanks Peter Fuller ) and saw a further 4 Rufous Bristlebirds here, including one on the road outside the houses at the end of the street .

Also thanks to David Torr for information, I met David later that next week on a pelagic trip from Eaglehawk Neck.

Tassie trip highlights to follow

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW