birding-aus

The 'mystery' bird is a Drongo

To: <>
Subject: The 'mystery' bird is a Drongo
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:52:07 +1000
Hi all,
Thank you all for having a go at identifying my 'stange' bird.

It is a Spangled Drongo, Dicrurus bracteatus.
A number of observers apparently have encountered this phase/stage of plumage
before and Nevi
Lazarus even provided a much clearer photo as proof of his sighting and to show
this is not an
uncommon event.

The original photo I displayed was specially chosen so that the beak (a dead
give away) was not
obvious, however, I have added another photo to the 'puzzle' which will show it
is definitely a
Spangled Drongo.
Go to my website: http://users.tpg.com.au/inglisrc/
Click on the link to "What bird is this" and then click on the link to the
second photo.

I was particularly interested in David Geerings comments about Juvenile versus
Immature in his
posting at:
http://menura.cse.unsw.edu.au:64800/2004/03/msg00283.html

The difference between Juvenile and Immature seems to be somewhat misunderstood
by the 'average'
birder.
This is not helped by some of the definitions in the glossaries of the current
Australian bird field
guides.
In my (humble?) opinion, the definitions in the glossary of 'Simpson and Day,
6th edition' are
probably a little more accurate than those in 'Pizzey and Knight, 1997'.

David's explanation of this particular bird being in 'moult' sounds reasonable
to me.

I am looking forward to reading about this in the next volume of HANZAB
(Handbook of Australian New
Zealand and Antarctic Birds) in a couple of years time.

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Queensland