birding-aus

Nesting Topknot Pigeons

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nesting Topknot Pigeons
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:55:13 +1000
I first spotted 2 pairs of nesting Topknot Pigeons in Mapleton Forest on 1st February.   Mapleton Forest is 20 km west of Nambour which is 100 km north of Brisbane.  I managed to see them because the males were still bringing twigs whilst the females were sitting.

On 15th February, both females were firmly ensconced on the nests, with no other Topknots in sight.   On 29th February, one nest was abandoned - do not know whether the egg was infertile or predated, though the nest looked perfect still - and the other nest clearly had a nestling, with the female firstly off the nest, then later sitting.

On 14th March,  the second nest was empty, and I feared the worst.   However, after much searching, I found what I took to be the juvenile hundered down in a tree further back.  I think if I had left it one more day, I would not have known what had happened.   [The view of these nests was not great, and this final view even worse!]

Either the birds laid well before the final touches were added to the nests, or the rearing of young is quicker than the books suggest!   This was 6 weeks precisely from the day I thought the egg was laid until the young had left the nest.

Can anyone shed any light on this????

Robyn