birding-aus

How to run over Oriental Plovers

To: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Subject: How to run over Oriental Plovers
From: "belles" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:19:12 +1100
It is very sad when you find a bird like that. Being a wildlife carer I get a lot of birds and other wildlife that have been hit by a car. A lot of times if people can get it to me or call asap, the sooner we get it we get a lot of birds stabilised. A lot pull through but a lot also die.
There is a shop on the Princes Hwy in a little town called "Mogo" 10kms south of Batemans Bay. This shop has a bird feeder right beside the Highway. I have picked birds up that have been hit by cars from trying to land on that feeder. The owners of this shop refuse to move this feeder. They say they are "Lovers" of wildlife?? We even had the RSPCA go in to talk to them after they abused me for asking if they would move their bird feeder around the back of the shop? They abused him as well. These birds swoop down low as they are coming in for a landing on this feeder.
A lot of times when a bird does get hit by a car, it may also be weak from sickness or injury that could be a reason why the bird is flying low.

Marian