birding-aus

Great Trip to Costa Rica

To: "Birdchat" <>
Subject: Great Trip to Costa Rica
From: "John" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:36:37 +1100
Hi all,
I'm just back from a great trip to Costa Rica.  The first two weeks were spent with a group under the leadership of Paco Madrigal of Cotinga Tours.m("rasca.co.cr","cotinga");">
Paco is an excellent guide.
I spent the last week with Kevin Easley of Costa Rica Gateway.
www.costaricagateway.com
I gave Kevin a list of life birds that were mostly very rare, difficult, or could be got only at special, often relatively inaccessible sites, and which are not likely to be seen with a group. I spent the last few days at Rancho Naturalista with Keven's younger brother, Stephen, as resident guide.
And I had a great time at Rancho Naturalista, with Kevin's younger brother Stephen as a guide.
A brief report of the birds Kevin and Stephen found me includes:

Prevost's Ground Sparrow Great views on Sat 8 at 6 am at Hotel Bougainvillea.  This is the best place in the world to see this rare and local bird.  It comes out soon after first light and hops along the wall behind the vegetable refuse pits at the back of the hotels vegetable garden.  It then usually flies down to the vegetable refues pit.
at Braulio Carillo Sat 8 in persistent rain.
2 White-throated Shrike-Tanager males
2 Streak-crowned Antwren male and female
1 Tawny-faced Gnatwren

At El Tigre Marsh Sat 7
2 Grey-breasted Crake

at EARTH Sunday 8
Wonderful views of Slaty-breasted Tinamou

At Braullio Carillo Sunday 8
Staggering views of Black-headed Antthrush.  The bird filled the field of view of my binoculars in perfect focus.

at house below Waterfall Gardens Sunday 8
White-tipped Sicklebill (at 10 feet, twice)
2 Grey-headed Dove

at Mirador Restaurant below Waterfall Gardens Sunday 8
4 White-bellied Mountain-Gem
1 Brown Violetear

at Tapanti Monday 9
Black Guan
Red-faced Spinetail
1 Brown-billed Scythebill
Scaled Antpitta

at Rancho early Tuesday 10
Snowcap 2 males and 2 females

On Silent Mountain (El Silencio- this was a REALLY tough hike through knee deep mud in pouring rain much of the day, but the birds made it worth it!  This is virtually the only place in Costa Rica wehere you can access forest at this altitude.)
4 Rufous-browed Tyrannulet
1 Costa Rican Pygmy-Owl (by the way, the reports of this bird around the lodges at Savegre are mistaken.  That bird is a Ferruginous Pygmy Owl.  G.costaricanum can only be found up high at Savegre).
1Ochre-bellied Antpitta at an antswarm.  For 10 minutes in a low tree!
4 Rufous-rumped Antwren (see well. This is hard bird to get a good look at, as it moves quickly in the canopy, usually with flocks)
Silvery-fronted Tapaculo
Sooty-faced Finch
Spotted Barbtail

Wed 11
Tuis Valley
Sunbittern

Platanillo Marsh
1 White-throated Flycatcher

Rancho Naturalista
White-ruffed Manakin (4 imm males, 3 females, finally 1 mature male!)
Tawny-chested Flycatcher (Rancho is the best place on earth to see this very local flycatcher)
2 Mottled Owls

Thursday 12
Rancho
Checker-throated Antwren (male seen very well)
Dull-manted Antbird

Despite searching for 9 hours, we never found a Lanceolated Monklet.

I strongly recommend Kevin as a guide if you are looking for specific species in Costa Rica. He is an excellent guide, and his rates are very reasonable.

If you would like a full report, with numbers, localities keyed to subspecies level for both the group tour with Paco, and the final week with Kevin and Stephen, let me know, and I'll attach them.
Cheers and good birding,
 John

John Penhallurick
Phone BH (61 2) 6201 2346 AH (61 2) 6258 5428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426 Mobile 0408 585 428
Snail Mail: Division of Communication & Education, University of Canberra,Canberra City, A.C.T.2601, Australia
Please visit my website at
http://worldbirdinfo.net/
or Private: P.O.Box 3469, B.M.D.C.,
BELCONNEN, A.C.T. 2617, Australia

"I'd rather be birding"
"Vivat, crescat, floreat Ornithologia" Hartert,Vög.pal.Fauna,p.2016