birding-aus

Nesting Topknot Pigeons

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nesting Topknot Pigeons
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:45:34 +1000
I took our Bird Observers' Group back yesterday [15/02/04] to see the two Topknot Pigeon nests found in the Mapleton Forest on 01/02/04.   One of our group brought a telescope, which made the viewing much more enjoyable.   We observed for one and a quarter hours, and there was no movement at the nests, other than the incubating bird preening and resettling.   The other birds were obviously off feeding for the whole period.   We had seen 15 to 18 birds about 500 metres away [as the Topknot flies] earlier, and saw some scatty nests which were no longer in use, but were made from the same type of twigs of which the observed nests consisted.

The active nests, about 6 metres apart, were in 2 different trees - a Eucalyptus grandis and a Turpentine, the first being on a very sturdy branch probably 250 mm in diameter, and the second in quite small branchelets towards the top of the Turpentine.

Books vary in estimations of incubation times - 16 to 22 days - but I hope I am able to get back there to check them out.   I'd still love to hear from anyone who has watched nests in the past.

Robyn