birding-aus

Digital Cameras

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Digital Cameras
From: "Caroline Allen" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:27:00 +1100
I recently purchased the C750 and am absolutely delighted with it.  I had been using a Nikon F3 with several lenses -- all quite heavy to carry around.  The C750 gives me all that the Nikon did, with a fraction of the weight.  The macro facility is also amazing!  I'm discovering the fine world of insects and am able to record the little beasties to assist with identification.  Quite simply, the detail is stunning!

I am not a professional photographer, nor even a serious amateur (any more).  My reason for purchasing the C750 was so that I can have the camera with me more often, without losing any of the advantages that my old Nikon outfit gave me.  Not being able to record those birds that defy identification was one of my prime motivators.  The 'charred' Silver Gull in the Carlton Gardens (Melbourne) that absolutely defied identification, still haunts me.  If I'd just had the C750 back then....

Also, photography on the 'old' negative and print film medium had become, for me, a crisis of conscience.  I take many photos, and often will choose just one that I'm truly pleased with.  The others, as nice as they may have been as record shots, were truly a waste of precious resources.  Now, I can shoot off dozens of photos and not have to worry about the environmental cost.  The camera uses rechargeable batteries (though it can use the disposable ones), and has about a dozen options for image quality which then determine whether you record a dozen, or several hundred photos on one memory card.

I honestly can't speak more highly of this little camera and encourage others to check it out.  It has well surpassed my expectations -- and has had me place my trusty Nikon on the back shelf to gather dust.  I never thought I'd ever see the day where I would do that.

Yeah, and it also has the little gadgets like the ability to record movies, and sound.  I don't use those very often.

Caroline