birding-aus

Franklin's Gull in Victoria

To: "'Mike Carter'" <>, <>, "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>
Subject: Franklin's Gull in Victoria
From: "Gunnar Engblom" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:09:45 -0500
Thanks for the pictures Mike.

The most remarkable about this bird - definite Franklin´s Gull - is that
it has already acquired a complete hood.  This is very early. The lack
of much white on the tips of primaries is due to wear - one could argue
that it may be a second winter bird which has less white on the tips,
but since so much white is shown at the base of the primaries and the
intense red bill this fits much better for an adult. Mind you that
Franklin´s gull have two complete moults per year. It will change those
flight feathers before heading north again. Then it will need some
tranquil place with lots of food. It should be worth looking for at the
top sites for gulls in the vicinity.

Gunnar

Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
Kolibri Expeditions