birding-aus

More raptors around Turramurra

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: More raptors around Turramurra
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:10:46 +1100
Hi all
it seems that this may be a good year for raptors around Turramurra (Northern Sydney).  This year's count already stands at 6 species:

Peregrine (at least 2 individuals as I have seen an immature and an adult)
Brown Goshawk
Grey Goshawk (new for my house list - seen on 11 January)
Pacific Baza (I understand that there is a pair nesting nearby)
Wedge Tailed Eagle
Hobby - seen yesterday evening chasing swifts

I also have regular sightings of a Collared Sparrowhawk and a Kestrel and am confident they'll be on the list before too long as well.

To add to the raptors, last night at 2:30 am, I woke up and listened to a Boobook calling for about an hour.  My wife heard it earlier in the week and last week (when I was away) too - one night I must get myself motivated enough to get up and see if I can find it!

Cheers
Tom Wilson