birding-aus

Avian flu

To: <>
Subject: Avian flu
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:38:21 +1100

I was minding my own business, listening to ABC News Radio this morning, when a story arose on avian flu and its potential to inflict more harm than SARS. The story then reached the realms of the idiotic. A veterinary officer in Qld claimed we could have this passed on to Australians and therefore humans by migratory birds. Furthermore, the poultry spokesperson interviewed seemed to concur. I swallowed hard, fearing those dangerous Red Necked Stints coming out of Asia the new Yellow Peril! Is our paranoia with no limits?

Brian Everingham

PO Box 269

Engadine

NSW 2233