birding-aus

Little Terns Towra Spit

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Terns Towra Spit
From: "TERRILL NORDSTROM" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:20:56 +1100
What actions would I propose to help stop the destruction of Little Tern nesting sites Jill Dening ask. One thing that is needed is for more bird watchers to stop just watching and start becoming involved in the protection and conservation of this and other species. My good mate Darryl Mckay is one of a small hand full of people who spend a large part of his summer spare time traveling up and down the south coast of NSW banding, recording and observing the Little Terns. We are the people who can offer hands on observation and protection, sitting at nesting sites to stop people with their dogs from walking among the nesting Terns. We as bird lovers should write to government departments to lobby them for funds so that paid wardens can be placed to watch nesting sites to ensure their protection. More fox baiting is needed so again more money is needed. Bird clubs should apply for grants and as a group should make representations to NPWS and other government departments. There is a lot we can and should do because if we don't than the Little Tern plus a number of other species that we love to watch will only be memory.       Regards Terrill