birding-aus

Little Terns Towra Spit

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Terns Towra Spit
From: "TERRILL NORDSTROM" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:35:32 +1100
Went to Towra Spit Botany Bay on Monday with Darryl Mckay and Sally Weeks to do our weekly survey on the nesting Little Terns only to find that some people have been on the island a day or so before and have destroyed a large number of nest. There was a number of tracks of dogs, children and adults and a number of nest tags have been pulled out plus eggs have been moved about as well. Last week 28 chicks were banded however only four chicks were observed on Monday. This is only the latest in a number of attacks on Little Terns within NSW this year and I believe that more should be done by government, NPWS and local bird clubs to curb this trend towards the loss of Little Terns.                    Regards Terrill